Saturday, 9 February 2013
Dornbusch lighthouse on Hindensee
Dornbusch Lighthouse (German: Leuchtturm Dornbusch) refers to the lighthouse officially designated as Leuchtfeuer Dornbusch/Hiddensee ("Dornbusch/Hiddensee Beacon") in the north of the German island of Hiddensee in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern on the Baltic Sea coast. Its international serial number is C 2588.
The lighthouse stands on the 72-metre-high Schluckswiek in the so-called Hochland ("highland") area of the island.
The lighthouse was built in 1887/1888 of brick construction. It was taken into service on 19 November 1888. It was modified from 1927 to 1929 and fitted with a reinforced-concrete shell. It is 28 metres high and has a focal height of 95 metres above mean sea level in the Baltic Sea. The observation gallery is located at a height of 20 metres. Its light has the following ranges: white 24.9 nautical miles (45 kilometres) and red 21.3 nautical miles (38 kilometres). Its characteristic is Flashing White Red, 2.4 seconds on, 7.6 seconds off. Its light source is a metal-halide lamp. The Stralsund Waterway and Shipping Office has responsible for the servicing and maintenance of the tower since 1990